Friday 15 January 2016

Geese and Glauc

I'm not sure how I forgot, but I had  2 European White-fronted Geese flying south over Watergate yesterday. A Gateshead mega, with just a handful of records.


2 European White-fronted Geese with 3 Greylag
The 2 White-fronts
Started the day with a run along the Derwent, 7 miles on ice was interesting. The water-level has dropped and I managed a run-past Dipper near Winlaton Mill and a fly-over Goosander.

With the snow and brilliant blue sky I thought I would get a few shots of the Short-eared Owls at Burdon Moor. Arrived to news that they had been showing superbly, but there was no sign in the hour that I was there. A very confiding Bullfinch was feeding on dried blackberries on the way back to the car.


Bullfinch
A check of the gulls on the Tyne at Stella gave an excellent Glaucous Gull, the first in Gateshead for a few years.


Glaucous Gull



A quick check of Burdon Moor at dusk gave 2 Short-eared Owl, but never coming close for photos.


Short-eared Owl

No comments:

Post a Comment