Sunday 17 January 2016

Arctic

Looking at Jonny's Blog over breakfast had me heading up to Birling, just north of Warkworth. Just to the west of the golf course a field of game crop is home to a large flock of finches and buntings, among them the Redpoll that has been much discussed over the last week. Jonny's excellent photos seem to clinch it as an Arctic and from my own views today, I agree. Difficult to see most of the time, but it did show well, perched up, three times in the 2 hours that I was there. Also present were Lesser Redpoll, Linnet, Reed Bunting, Yellowhammer, Tree Sparrow, Grey Partridge, Skylark and a fly-over Woodcock.


Arctic Redpoll

 
 
I headed further north to Stag Rocks, which was very disappointing with just a single Long-tailed Duck and 2 Eider, no sign of any grebes or divers.
 
On the way back south I called in at Cresswell where the Long-billed Dowither was showing well before flying off to the west. A Barn Owl flew over the track back to the car.
 
Long-billed Dowitcher and Snipe


No comments:

Post a Comment