Sunday 29 May 2016

Bonaparte's and Phalarope

With just distant flight views of the Bonaparte's Gull I was keen to get a better look, so when news came through that it was showing again I popped up to Castle Island. Asleep on a sand bank when I arrived, it took a while to wake up, but it eventually showed superbly.

Bonaparte's Gull


As I was near I checked Druridge, Cresswell and Bothal, but nothing noteworthy other than the Great White Egret at Druridge.

I headed west to Grindon Lough and this time I was lucky with the Red-necked Phalarope which was spinning around in the shallows at the western end. Also here was the Demoiselle Crane of unknown origin, asleep on the far bank.

Red-necked Phalarope
Last night a look up to Slaley yielded three churring Nightjar. Just brief views and they only churred for a short time, perhaps still a bit cold. Plenty of Woodcock and a great noise from Cuckoo, Snipe, Curlew and Tawny Owl.

No comments:

Post a Comment