Wednesday 31 August 2016

Cory's

A flat sea, a light southwesterly and crap light, it wasn't looking great for sea watching this morning. Not planning to go, but I was awake, so headed down. The birds were luckily ignoring the conditions with a trickle of Manx Shearwater and a few Arctic Skua. A Green Sandpiper almost flew into the Obs and I failed to get onto a Pomarine Skua before it landed on the sea.

The star bird headed south just after Paul had headed off for his final day at work. I was pleased Mark called the Cory's Shearwater, as I was already following the bird and although my brain was screaming 'Cory's' this slow, lolloping bird looked so different to the charging birds that I saw on Scilly. Initially at a good distance it gradually headed further out as it headed south. Obviously nothing like the close views that I had in the south west, but a great addition to my Durham list and an eye-opener on how different a bird can look in different weather conditions.

Back in Gateshead there were 3 Green Sandpiper at Lamesley, plus 9 Black-tailed Godwit and a Common Sandpiper at Shibdon.

No comments:

Post a Comment