Sunday 6 June 2021

Red-necked Stint

 Almost asleep on my sofa yesterday evening I was fired into action and panic by news of a Red-necked Stint on the Blyth Estuary. Racing north like a headless chicken with no real idea where I was going, I eventually got pin-point directions from Stew G and arrived on site to a crowd of about 50 scoping the bird on the mudflats. In full summer plumage, much brighter than I envisioned, the red in some light, like a Red-necked Phalarope. A Little Stint was present close by for comparison. 

Another visit early this morning, but the bird was still distant and no real chance of photos.

Red-necked Stint


On Friday a launch up to Northumberland gave a heard only, raucous Great Reed warbler and a Rose-coloured Starling at Newbiggin.


Rose-coloured Starling





No comments:

Post a Comment