Thursday 23 March 2017

Glauc pull-back

A couple of morning seawatches from Whitburn, where due to tardiness and leaving early I've managed to miss most of the good birds. Still, I managed my first Sandwich Terns of the year.

A Toad on the Obs path

I've given Gateshead a good thrash, with mixed results. Yesterday's only highlights were a huge flock of 250+ Siskin at Watergate, where a drake Goosander was taking advantage of the lack of dog walkers due to the foul weather. Today I year-ticked Red-legged Partridge at Lamesley before hitting lucky with the juvenile Glaucous Gull just over the Gateshead boundary at Birtley Brick Works. My luck was in when the flock took off and headed north and into Gateshead. I arrived at Lamesley in time to see the Glauc low overhead before it headed high towards Kibblesworth.

Glaucous Gull
A new Gateshead record of 18 Gadwall were also at Lamesley.

I again dipped the Rock Pipit at Dunston for the umpteenth time. The two drake Garganey were still at Shibdon, where they are looking at home and were both displaying to a female Teal.

Garganey

No comments:

Post a Comment