Thursday 29 May 2014

Bee-eater

The plan was to head to north Northumberland and head south. News of a singing Greenish Warbler at Newbiggin led me astray and I spent a fruitless couple of hours staring at trees near the mound. I headed north and covered Druridge Bay. No sign of the Spoonbills or much else and I eventually succumbed to the lure of the Bee-eaters at South Gare.

By the time I arrived the birds had become very mobile and hadn't been seen for 20mins. After half an hour everyone began to drift off so I headed up the hill behind the scrap yard. A single Bee-eater zipped over calling and perched on a bush on the side of the hill. Great, but distant views (the story of the week!) before the bird was flushed by a Magpie. The Bee-eater reappeared a couple of times, but further away. A Common Blue was new for the year.

Bee-eater
Common Blue
Next back over the river to the Calor Gas Pool by Saltholme. The Curlew Sandpiper was feeding with Ringed Plover, but again at a distance. Surprisingly not in full summer plumage.

Curlew Sandpiper
The Phil Stead hide held a few Gadwall and a drake Garganey was on the Fire Station field.

Gadwall
Garganey

No comments:

Post a Comment