Monday 26 July 2021

Caspian Tern

 I arrived at Saltholme in time to be told that the Caspian Tern had flown off just 5 mins before. With no sign from Paddy's hide I legged it towards Haverton. Luckily a large white bird was circling powerfully over the pool at Haverton Gate. I had it all to myself for a few minutes before it caught and ate a fish and powered over my head back towards Saltholme.

Caspian Tern







On the 1st I made the correct to abandon work and head to Whitburn with a Fea's-type Petrel heading north. Good, but distant views of my first Pterodroma sent me home happy only to return to the news that the Newbiggin lads had managed photos that will hopefully nail it as Britain's first Soft-plumaged Petrel.

I Gateshead autumn has arrived with up to 6 Green Sandpiper and a Greenshank at Lamesley, plus a couple of juvenile Whinchat moving through Burdon Moor.

No comments:

Post a Comment