Sunday 2 June 2019

Baikal

The Baikal Teal moving from Cambridgeshire to Yorkshire was welcome, but work meant I was unable to get down until Tuesday 28th May. An early start saw me arrive at Hornsea Mere before 7 to negative news. Some gen from a local got me to the teal's regular haunts, but after 3 hours I was ready to give up. Good views of Hobby, several Marsh Harrier, Yellow Wagtail and a singing Cetti's Warbler were scant consolation. Luckily just before I got back to the car my phone beeped and I was hurtling back to the other side of the lake. The Baikal Teal was on a wooded island and occasionally showed very well as it wandered out into the open to feed. A nit distant for photos!

Baikal Teal

Heading home I stopped off just north of Scarborough at Harwood Dale where I was immediately rewarded with a singing Turtle Dove.

Turtle Dove

Closer to home a quick check of Lamesley revealed 4 Avocet. A site first and only the third occurrence in Gateshead.

Avocet
The next day 2 Little Stint flew north past Whitburn Obs (the first spring record). An evening Red-necked Phalarope got me up to Newton where it showed well despite the gloom. A pair of Little Stint were possibly the morning's birds.

Red-necked Phalarope

                                      


No comments:

Post a Comment