Friday 20 April 2018

Ouzel

I pulled up at the lay-by on top of Burdon Moor tonight to scan for Wheatear when a Ring Ouzel hopped out of the grass. Showing superbly for 15 mins in the evening sun, it unfortunately disappeared before it could be twitched. 3 Wheatear were also on the top.

Ring Ouzel

A decent spell in Gateshead with 6 Hawfinch briefly at Far Pasture on the 12th (my first in Gateshead since the early 90s) and the pair of Common Scoter found by Stephen W on the 15th (a full Gateshead tick for me). I was unable to re-find the Red-throated Diver that flew upstream on the 18th. 

Common Scoter

Shelduck
On the 18th I popped over to Grindon Lough for distant views of the Long-billed Dowitcher, 2 Ruff, 5 Black-tailed Godwit and a smart drake Pintail.

A fairly quiet seawatch from Whitburn on 19th was followed by a trip to Saltholme for again distant views of the Ring-necked Duck and closer views of a pair of Black-necked Grebe.

Avocet

1 comment: