Friday 29 July 2016

Sandwich

A tweet this afternoon from Ross had me heading to Gateshead's most north-easterly  corner. He'd had a flock of Sandwich Tern feeding at Hebburn, just 2 miles downstream from the Gateshead boundary. Approaching from the east, I was almost at the boundary when I had a Sandwich Tern from the car, unfortunately flying in the wrong direction. Luckily when I arrived at the pier that marks the boundary a flock of Common Tern could be seen well upstream and among these at least 3 Sandwich Tern. A long overdue addition to my Gateshead list. As I turned for the car another 4 birds flew upstream to join the flock.

Sandwich Tern with Bill Quay in the background
Sandwich Tern with the dark side in the background
Earlier and Osprey put on a good, though distant show at Derwent Reservoir. A Greenshank was on the far bank, but a complete lack of small waders. At Winnows Hill there was no sign of any Golden-ringed Dragonfly, but there were plenty of Emerald Damsel, a Common Hawker and a couple of Dark-green Fritillary.

Emerald Damsel
Tachina grossa a big beast
Two Dunlin at Shibdon were my first in Gateshead for the year yesterday, but the Little Egret hasn't been there for the last two nights.

Field Scabius

No comments:

Post a Comment