Wednesday 27 April 2016

Snow Warbling

There was a carpet of snow this morning when I headed out to look for Spring migrants. At Kibblesworth the two Grasshopper Warbler were still reeling away, with one showing pretty well. Birtley reed beds held plenty of singing Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff and Blackcap, but no sign of the Lesser Whitethroat. A steady stream of Swallow and Sand Martin was flowing north.

Grasshopper Warbler
Willow Warbler
All very quiet at Lamesley, but a Robin was feeding three young, just outside the hide.

Robin
This afternoon a message from Michael got me back down to Birtley reed beds, where in driving sleet I managed brief views of a Lesser Whitethroat. As I watched this 2 Sedge and a Reed Warbler defied the weather to sing their way onto my Gateshead year list. I plodged back to the car soaked and freezing.

No comments:

Post a Comment