Thursday 19 June 2014

No Demoiselle

Up to Cresswell this morning where there were 23 Little Gull, 5 Avocet and 25+ Black-tailed Godwit. 7 Bar-headed Geese dropped in from the Hauxley collection. 4 Spoonbill were doing what Spoonbill do best at Druridge and a female Marsh Harrier hunted over the north pool at East Chevington.

Spoonbill
Great Crested Grebe and passenger at East Chevington
This afternoon I went hunting Banded Demoiselle on the Derwent. I followed the Dragonhunter's footsteps, even finding his missing water bottle, but drew a blank. The time was not wasted as I did see 2 Kingfisher, 3 family parties of Grey Wagtail, 2 Dipper, Garden Warbler, Blackcap and Great Spotted Woodpecker. Butterflies seen were Red Admiral, Orange Tip, Small Copper and Meadow Brown. Hundreds of Toadlets were on the paths around the country park.

Orange Tip
Grey Wagtail
Garden Warbler
On my travels I also saw a fugitive Ruddy Duck, my first since the mass slaughter.

Richard Kimble


No comments:

Post a Comment